Saturday, June 15, 2013

Sometimes the Competition is YOU!

Going into this competition, I definitely wasn't prepared for anything other than the first place trophy. I went in there with the same confidence that I had for last season. "I believe I will win, I am going to win. First place is mine..." Finally June 8th came and I was ready to hit the stage-- oblivious to how my competition was coming in.My hair was perfect, my makeup was flawless; I was looking good. Line up time came fast and my competitors and I lined up for our time on the stage. I got pumped up, mentally and physically, still telling myself I believe I will win, I am going to win. First place is mine. On stage, I did my thing but when it came to comparisons that's when the game changed. I wasn't called for the first comparison...or the second...or the third. When you have competed before, you know that this isn't a good sign.

"Thank you ladies"



It was done.I felt a sudden rush of emotions. I was literally shocked, disappointed, mad, sad, everything! I was coming off a high of doing so well in the last season; I nowhere near expected to bomb this one.


What I didn't know at the time was that this experience was actually a good one. After the pre-show, I had several hours to reflect about what happened and I came to the conclusion that this had to happen. I had to experience the other side of the fence-- the not so sunny and green side.

Someone once said,



"Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.”
Not only did Atlantic States make me more determined and hungry than ever, but it allowed me to experience a loss and handle it in the most graceful way possible. I turned my thoughts of losing into a strategic plan to come back bigger and better than ever before. I took it as a lesson, a valuable lesson that although I didn't win a trophy, in so many different ways I really did win. I won a new sense of desire; a need to prove to myself that I have what it takes to reach the top even with obstacles.





Although the competitive instinct in me is to always go for the first place trophy, it's the want, the need to learn as much as I can about this cut-throat industry that is more valuable than any sized trophy. Every significant moment in life, good or bad is only worth something when you are able to use the experience to progress your life in a positive way. A moment like this does not define who you are or the goals you set for yourself. A moment like this lets you know that not everything will always go according to plan and it’s up to you to keep that head held up high and keep fighting for what you know you deserve. My goals have not changed, my strength has not diminished--in fact they grew since Atlantic States.






More now than ever before, I know I have chosen the right path in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment